Electrical and Electronics Engineering Master’s Program
The department of Electrical and Electronics Engineering of Engineering Faculty of Kabul University has been implementing BSc program since 1943 and succeeded in graduating of more than two thousand Engineers till the end of 2018. In 2009, the department of Electrical and Electronics Engineering revised its BSc curriculum thoroughly based on academic and industrial need assessment and the demand of current market for engineers and professionals in field of electrical and electronics engineering. As a result, the five years BSc program was converted to four years BSc program.
Based on the achieved results from the BSc program of Electrical and Electronics department, crucial need of public and private sectors to the experts in the field of electrical and electronics engineering, and available capacity of academic staffs and resources such as comprehensive library, access to internet and research journals, laboratories, and suitable space, the Electrical and Electronics Engineering department of Engineering Faculty has been encouraged to establish the Master Program considering the strategic plan of the Ministry of Higher Education.
The Master of Science in Electrical and Electronics Engineering delivers the advanced knowledge of Electrical and Electronics Engineering in the fields of power systems, power electronics, digital signal processing, communication systems, telecommunication, and control systems. The overall objective of this program is the enhancement of abilities and capabilities of students in the specialized fields to be successful during their employment periods in higher educational and professional institutions, industry, and general knowledge. This program provides the research and projects facilities in the following fields.
- Communication Engineering
- Power and Energy Engineering
- Control Engineering
The general requirements of the Master Program of Electrical and Electronic Engineering of Engineering Faculty are the completion of minimum 42 credits that must be completed during the period of four semester (minimum) to six semester (maximum) or three academic years (including TAJIL and failure). The distribution of credits is as: 24 credits are for core courses, 8 credits are for basic (fundamental) courses related to the field, 6 credits are for optional courses (within or outside department), 1 credit is for academic writing, 1 credit is for seminar, and the remaining 6 credits are for completion of thesis of the master program.
The Master Program of Electrical and Electronic Engineering is designed in such a way that a student can complete it in 4 semesters (2 academic years). If a student is not able to complete it in 4 semesters, he/she can extend it up to 2 additional semesters.
The Engineering Faculty tries to contrive the completion of master thesis in one of the universities to whom it has partnership. However, the student needs to pass in the competition process. The student introduced to abroad universities for the completion of thesis is responsible for payment of fee of that semester.
Academic Calendar of the Program:
Engineering Faculty of Kabul University is intended to arrange two normal semesters in an academic year. Nevertheless, the arrangement of a short winter semester will also be anticipated. The duration of a normal semester is 16 weeks for lectures and the following 17th week is for the examination. The semesters are arranged as follow:
- Spring Semester: Starts at 21 March and ends up at 20 July (including the exams week)
- Fall Semester: Starts at 22 August and ends up at 18 December (including the exams week)
- Short Winter Semester: The length of short winter semester is 8 weeks. Starts at 30. November and ends up at 28 February (including exams week).
Vision of Master Program of Electrical and Electronics Engineering :
Vision of the Master Program of Electrical and Electronics Engineering is summarized as follows:
- Establishment of a standard and qualified Master Program at national and international levels to fulfill the society and market needs and address technical problems in Electrical and Electronics Engineering field.
- Training of academic professionals for carrying out research and knowledge creation for improvement and development in subdisciplines of power system engineering, communication engineering, and control systems engineering of Electrical and Electronics Engineering.
Objectives of Master Program of Electrical and Electronic Engineering:
The objectives of Master Program of Electrical and Electronics Engineering in Engineering Faculty of Kabul University are to enhance the capabilities and skills of graduate students for analysis and resolution of theoretical, logical, and practical problems in specialized fields of communication engineering, power engineering, and control engineering to succeed during their employment periods in educational and technical institutions, manufacturing, implementation and expansion of modern technologies, and general education.
These objectives are summarized as below.
- Enhancing students' knowledge and skills in advanced theoretical and practical concepts in electrical and electronic engineering.
- Improving and enhancing students' competence at the highest scientific level to solve practical and technical problems.
- Development of students' intellectual skills to research and analyze new topics related to the mentioned disciplines.
- Strengthening students' ability for employment in advanced engineering jobs such as working in industrial, scientific and research sectors.
- Realization the strategic plans of department of electrical and electronic engineering, faculty of engineering, and Kabul University.
- Elimination of needs of industrial sector and labor market in field of electrical and electronic engineering.