The central library of Kabul University was established in 1311 along with the establishment of Kabul University. But at that time Kabul University didn’t have any central building and faculties were active in rental houses. By the time the area for the university’s buildings was determined, a Building for the Central Library was also specified and the present building with the area of 5286/4 square meters (length of 112 meters and width of 47 meters and 20 cm) was built and was one of the standard libraries thorough the country.
An administrative unit by the name of directorate of libraries was created for better activity and synchronization of libraries tasks. The mentioned unit has changed the library’s system to and international and modern system by categorizing and re-arrangement of the library with the help of foreign professionals.
The Central Library has a two story building and has the following braches As: Technical and Vocational Assistance, Administrative Assistance, Reference Branch, Distributor, Afghanistan Studies, Newspapers and Magazines, Development and Information Center, Iran studies Room, Lincoln Center, Dutch Center, photocopiers, books delivery center.