History of Faculty

The faculty of science was established in 1942 in Kabul University as the third faculty. Later on it was renamed as the Faculty of Natural Science. The idea of establishing this faculty was born as the number of students from the middle and high schools rose rapidly. On the other hand the number of educated specialist, due to relative developing areas of industry, was very low. Therefore this faculty was established as the third faculty of the Kabul University to satisfy the above mentioned needs.

The vision of the faculty of science is to be recognized as an advanced scientific organization on the national and international level.

There were 21 students enrolled in the first year, who studied in two disciplines: Chemistry/biology and mathematics/physics. General geology was part of Chemistry/biology at that time. Specialists, who were working at different projects and different ministries, were encouraged to take position as professors and lecturer. In 1956 geology became third discipline with its own subjects.

In 1952 a zoological garden was founded inside the building complex of the faculty. Professors and students collected animals existing in different parts of the country during their scientific excursion. In the same time plant specialist took steps to establish a botanical garden (plant museum). In 1957 a class course (PCB) was established. It intended to prepare medical student in basics of physics, chemistry and biology. Between the years1960 and 1961 the plan for a zoo was laid down. For this purpose a building was handed over to the faculty. While the building was used for keeping small animals and laboratories, wild animals were kept in special cages in the yard. On completion of new zoo garden in Barikot area of Kabul, this zoo was moved there. The management of this new zoo garden was with the department of biology. In 1979 the management was transferred to Kabul municipality. In 1961 a section of meteorology was founded in the faculty. It was active until 1965. It was disqualified on governmental order. It revived in 1979 to educate meteorologist in frame of the faculty. In 1980 this section was joined the newly founded faculty of geology. There were 25 students enrolled in the spring semester of 1980. Due to improvement program in 1969, the academic structure of the faculty was changed. It became more specialized. Four independent departments (physics, chemistry, biology, mathematics) were established. In 1996 a new department, computer science was added. In 2009 this department became a new faculty, the Faculty of Computer Sciences.

Today the faculty has four departments: biology, chemistry, mathematics and physics. Students all over the country, who pass the entrance exam of the university, can attend the faculty. The educational program of the faculty is in bachelor level and includes general subjects as well as subjects in special discipline. After successfully completion of eight semester and writing the final monograph, the students will be granted with bachelor degree. Employment areas: assistant at the faculty, teachers or governmental institutions. The former building of the faculty, located in the city center, was too small and had no expansion capability. Therefore a new building was built in 1983. The new building has modern teaching rooms, auditorium, research/exercise laboratories, library and offices.


During the internal fighting in Kabul, the whole faculty and its laboratories were destroyed. Fortunately due to efforts of the faculty, assistance and cooperation of the university directory and the ministry of higher education as well as the financial support of the World Bank, the faculty was rebuilt.

View of the “Dr. Bolbol shah Jalal” Hall during lecture

Some laboratories are operational while some of them need to be equipped. The dean of the faculty tries to overcome this problem too. The faculty personals are complete. Most of them have already completed their PhD or master education. Some of the lecturers are in educational program abroad. According to strategic plan and further development, the faculty will be ready for mutual cooperation.
In 2010 the faculty enrolled 1252 students, 555 female and 697 male. In 2011 the number rose to 1280, 540 female and 749 male students.