The chemistryfaculty was established as a faculty operating in Kabul University 1942 as Department of Chemistry.The Natural Science Faculty was established when a need was felt because of the lack of enough faculty especially given the fact that the number of the students in primary and secondary schools was increasing on the one hand. Another reason for establishing this faculty was the lack of enough professional in different fields of natural science given the rapid development of industries. Therefore, this faculty was established as Faculty of Science to deal with the mentioned problems, and later its name was translated into Dari as Faculty of “Olum-e Tabiee”.
The first group of students to enter the faculty of science started studying in the fields of Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry and Biology. Professionals of different science related fields who were then working in ministries and under different projects, or were employed by governmental organizations were encouraged to start teaching in this faculty so that the faculty starts serving the community with their help.
At the time, students were studying in the fields of (Chemistry and Bilogy) and (Mathematics and Physics). In 1969 the academic structure of the faculty changed and modifications were made in its curricula so that they became more professional, and this led to the establishment of the four different departments of Physics, Chemistry, Biology and Mathematics. It is worth mentioning that in 1970, the chemistry department starting offering programs in the fields of industrial chemistry, chemistry and mathematics. Also, the chemistry department was called the chemistry institute at that time.
Before the establishment of the Faculty of Science, all the laboratory activities of this department were carried out in the public works office. This office was responsible for analyzing minerals using the equipment of the time and the expertise of Afghan and international professionals.
When the Faculty of Science started operating,the laboratory assets were moved to the chemistry department building in Pull baghOmomiarea. The Qualitative Analytical Chemistry laboratory, the Quantitative Analytical Chemistry and Nonorganic MaterialLaboratory and the PhysicalChemistry Laboratorywere added to this facility in 1944, 1945 and 1961 respectively.
However, civil wars destroyed the whole chemical laboratories and all the assets were destroyed. But, with the help of Science facultyleadership,the ministry of Higher education and with the financial aid of World Bank, the department of chemistry was restored. For the moment,some chemistry experiments are conducted in laboratories, however the destruction brought by civil war has rendered the laboratories incapable of carrying out most of the useful experiments.
The graduates from the faculty of chemistry have managed to find employment at Ministry of education, andinstitutes of higher education as lecturers and they have great achievements. They have also been able to work as chemistry experts in all domestic manufacturing companies. Some graduates work in laboratories of the ministry of mines and industries analyzing chemical materials, and some others are working with the ministry of water and power, analyzing water. Still others work with the ministry of finance in customs laboratories. So, the relevant authorities made a good and timely decision to establish the department of chemistry in the faculty of science. It is worth noting that with the expansion of industries in our beloved Afghanistan, we the need for chemistry professionals will be increasing more and more.